Creating a team environment in a company does not come easy. To effectively build teams, it is important to remember that:
- Teamwork is based on a company’s culture. Companies that encourage open, honest communication and foster employee interaction are in a better position to have good teamwork among employees.
- Team spirit comes from the top. Building effective teams with the right attitude emanates from the highest levels of an business.
- People must fit into the company culture. Some people are team players and some aren’t. It’s partly a question of personality and partly a matter of training. One person in the team with the wrong attitude can undermine the effort of the entire team.
How to Get Everybody on Board
Teams are not born, they’re built. We have some tried and tested recommendations for your consideration.
- Start at the beginning – Hire People who fit into the company’s team culture. Use Interviews and pre- employment assessments/screening well to determine a person’s personality and traits. Look for cooperation and a willingness to listen in order to determine whether an applicant can work well in a team environment.
- Let everyone know where you’re going – This means making employees part of the strategic planning process and making sure they understand the goals. It’s important that every team member buys into the plan.
- Hold the team accountable for results – Establish clear team and individual expectations. Make sure everyone understands that it’s the result of the team’s work that counts. Base your reward system on the team’s ability to achieve its goals. Provide individual recognition based on contribution to the team effort.
- Keep communication lines open – Encourage honest and open communication among team members and management. Solicit ideas and suggestions from team members on ways to better achieve the team’s goals. Whether you have a team based entirely in the office or remotely, it is still possible to ensure communication remains open through a secure communication platform.
- Resolve team conflicts immediately – Work to correct performance, attitude or work ethic problems of individual team members where possible.
- Keep morale high – Team members function best when their individual contributions to the team are recognised. This, in turn, leads to a strengthening of the team spirit among its individual members.
Making employees realise that they are part of one team is the best antidote to an holistic work attitude. This will engender a willingness on the part of everyone to pull in one direction, regardless of the job or task at hand.
How do you engage your teams?
Thanks for reading.